Subject: creates system user in /home
To: [email-masked]

Package:
Version:
Severity: serious
User: [email-masked]
Usertags: piuparts

Hi,

during a test with piuparts I noticed your package creates a system user
with a home directory in /home/$SYSUSER, which is a policy violation.

The FHS (which is part of the policy) states:
"/home : User home directories (optional)"
"/home is a fairly standard concept, but it is clearly a site-specific
filesystem. The setup will differ from host to host. Therefore, no
program should rely on this location."
https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs/fhs-2.3.html#HOMEUSERHOMEDIRECTORIES

System users are usually placed in /var/lib.

Possible problems that can arise in case /home is a remote file system:
* the local root user may not be allowed to write to /home
* $SYSUSER may have different UIDs on different hosts

For that particular piuparts test /home has been made unusable.
From the attached log (scroll to the bottom...):

cheers,